Search Engine Optimisation For Your WordPress Website
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is the steps or process of improving and maintaining a website’s visibility within the search engine results. Basically, you rank high in the search results when you do what the search engines want you to.
What are search engines?
There are several of these search engines, but the biggest ones are Google, Yahoo, and Bing. Your goal when doing SEO on your website is to get to the top of the search results on page one. One of the main requirements that these search engines have is quality content and a relevant keyword.
Using the Yoast plugin
You can use the plugin called Yoast to help you with your SEO. Here’s what Yoast will help you with:
- Page title – Your page title shouldn’t be too short or too long, and should contain your keyword.
- URL – The URL or slug of the page should contain your keyword.
- Meta Description – The meta description is the little part that gets displayed on a search results page. This also needs to contain your keyword.
- Subtitles/header tags – You need to have a subtitle for at least every 300 words, and at least one subtitle should contain your keyword.
- Text/body – The text on the page needs to be at least 300 words long and has to contain your keyword a few times – at least 2 times per 300 words – But also not too many times. The keyword should be contained in the first paragraph of the text.
- Images – The page needs to contain at least one image of about 300kb and its alt-tag needs to contain your keyword.
- Inbound/outbound links – There should be at least one link that links back to your own website, and one link that links to an external website.
Other things that influence SEO:
- Social media pages – Linking your social media pages to your website, as well as sharing links to your website on your social media pages can mean the world for your SEO score.
- Blogs – Search engines like websites with fresh content. Because none of your website’s pages is likely to be updated very often, having a blog is a good idea. It adds new content to your website constantly. You can post anything from interesting trends to breaking industry news; it’s really up to you.